Local and State Resources
Colorado QuitLine: 1-800-QUIT-NOW (1-800-784-8669); TTY 1-888-229-2182
Counselors are available: Monday-Friday, 7 a.m.-9 p.m; Saturday and Sunday, 8 a.m.-4:30 p.m.; 24-hour voice mail.
The QuitLine provides private counseling and support, advice on crafting your quit plan, problem-solving advice, and skills to help you break old habits, and help deciding which cessation products or medications may be beneficial for you. They can provide FREE nicotine replacement gum, patches, and lozenges.
The Health District of Northern Larimer County offers cessation classes in group, individual, and couples formats, along with free nicotine patches or gum. Classes are offered in a six-week format and are on a sliding-fee scale.
- For CSU employees:
- United Health Care covers the following drugs with their plan: Chantix, Zyban, Buproprion and Nicotrol. Telephonic wellness coaches trained in tobacco cessation are available; this includes one specified coach, educational materials, online module, tools and trackers. Spanish speaking coaches and language services are also available.
- Kaiser Permanente includes Bupropion SR and XL on their formularies and are covered as preventive care at a $0 cost share. Non-formulary prescription smoking cessation drugs require review and approval, and if approved, the applicable copayment would apply. Over the counter medications are only covered as preventive care at a $0 cost share when purchased at a KP Pharmacy with a prescription. In addition, there are quantity limitations on these OTC nicotine replacement products to no more than 16 weeks per member. The OTC nicotine replacement products include nicotine gum, patches and lozenges.
- Anthem offers prescription drug coverage to members who are enrolled in an approved tobacco cessation counseling program.
- More information about employee benefits is available through Human Resources.
- For CSU students:
- CSU’s student health insurance plan covers up to 8 screening and counseling services visits with a recognized provider per policy year. Services are covered at 100 percent without any copay when performed by an in-network provider. Nicotine replacement therapy is also covered at 100 percent no copay.
- All fee-paying students have access to sessions with a tobacco cessation coach through the CSU Health Network at no additional charge. To make an appointment, please call (970) 491-6053. Both over-the-counter and prescription medications can be purchased at the Pharmacy located in the Hartshorn building. Students can also receive free nicotine replacement therapy through the prescription assistance program at CSU if they meet certain income guidelines. Colorado’s QuitLine also offers free nicotine patches.
- More information for students about quitting.